Lemon MousseRefrigerated, this is like a melt in the mouth lemon mouse with no cholesterol. Don't worry about uncooked egg white. All the experts say that salmonella is only present in egg yolks. Frozen it is known as lemon sorbet, water ice or even granita depending on country of origin. It doesn't need an ice cream maker, just freezer space. It is great for cleansing your palate after a spicy or hot meal, or a light, elegant end to a dinner party. In classic French cuisine, a sorbet is always included after the main course in a formal dinner party.
Ingredients1/4 oz powdered gelatin (single envelope of Knox gelatin or 2 1/4 tsps.) sold in Jell-O section of store.
3/4 c sugar
Grated zest of 2 medium lemons
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (about one lemon - microwave for 30 seconds to increase juice yield)
3/4 c boiling water
1/2 c cold water
1 large or extra large egg white
Method1. Place boiling water in freezer proof bowl or pan. Add sugar and gelatin and stir until liquid is dissolved and no grains are visible.
2. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and cold water and stir.
3. Place in freezer and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour until mix has started to thicken up and stays on a spoon like not quite set Jell-O.
4. Place mix and egg white in a stand electric mixer preferably and whisk for 5 - 10 minutes until mix has more than doubled in volume and leaves a ribbon on top of mix if lifted up.
5. Pour mix into one large serving bowl or 8 small attractive glass dishes and refrigerate until set. This mixture can also be frozen.
6. Serve as it is or with fresh raspberries, peaches, nectarines etc. It has a wonderful bursting bubble on the tongue effect. The mix can also be poured into tiny chocolate cases and left to set or piped into chocolate cases once firm enough to pipe.
Oonagh Williams, proprietor of Royal Temptations, has a Culinary Arts degree, offers a Personal Chef service, teaches a variety of classes in International Cooking, and makes regular appearances on WMUR ABC Channel 9's Cooks' Corner. You can contact Oonagh at 603-424-6412.