My extensive research into authentic Lithuanian Cuisine.
These are some of the cookery books that I use for Lithuanian cooking:
- Lithuanian Cookery by Izabele Sinkeviciute
- Please to the Table - the Russian Cookbook of 400 recipes from the Baltics to Uzbekistan by Anya Von Bremzen and John Welchman.
- Recipes from the Lithuanian Heritage Magazine
- Time-Life Foods of the World Russian Cooking with Baltic States recipes being specifically identified
- 1982 Edition of Favorite Recipes compiled by the American Lithuanian Roman Catholic Women's Alliance.
- Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet - Ethnic Cooking
- Art of Lithuanian Cooking by Maria Gieysztor de Gorgey
- Eat, Eat by Ruth Kanin - Jewish Lithuanian
- Lithuanian Traditional Foods compiled by Birute Imbrasiene ( "a gift from a member of my Fan Club, Gero Apetito - Ruta Daugela")
- The Baltics Worldwide - recipes downloaded from the Internet including recipes from two of the finest restaurants in Vilnius.
- Treasures of Lithuanian Cooking - by Virginia Sakalas- Mikenas, Resurrection Parish Catholic Women's League.
- A Season of Celebrating - published by the Museum of Science and Technology in Chicago
- Popular Lithuanian Recipes - compiled and edited by Josephine J. Dauzvardis, Consul General of Lithuania in Chicago.
All the above books are in my personal possession. I have also been given recipes by attendees for a variety of recipes from their mother or grandmother who are Lithuanian.
I continuously try out recipes from these books and only adapt them for ease of making and trying to lessen the fat content. I have pointed out frequently that I see no point in demonstrating a recipe that will purely be a curiosity. It is important to reintroduce recipes from these many books that will be used time and again by the class and help to continue interest in the Lithuanian Culture by its food.
------> Back to Lithuanian Classes
Oonagh Williams, proprietor of Royal Temptations, has a Culinary Arts degree, offers
catering from 6-60 people,
teaches a variety of classes in International Cooking, and makes regular appearances on WMUR ABC Channel 9's
Cooks' Corner. You can contact Oonagh at 603-424-6412.